“My name is Gloria, and I fantasize about killing people.” They all looked at me like I was the crazy one, when I was the sanest out of all of them. There was a woman sitting to my left who was petting a cat, only pets aren’t allowed here. To my right was a man who thought he was on the moon. Everyone here was a little crazy. But there was one boy, who sat across from me, he looks pretty normal. But then again, what is normal. The game of break the ice finally got to him, “Hi my name is Chad, and I threatened to kill my teacher.” Well, looks like were in the same boat. He weighed the same as I did, but I knew with the right moves, I could take him. His squealing wouldn’t take long, and soon enough his body would be still. Feeling it pierce his soft, flexible skin would put me in frenzy. I snapped out of it and found myself licking my lips and glaring in his direction. He was looking down at his feet, and playing with his hands. Great, I scared the crap out of the one person who had a piece of sanity left.
The rest of the day consisted of staring out at the empty street. Screams and mumbles of death could be heard, and hustling of doctors to calm them down. They say fear gets the best of people. They lie. Darkness gets the best of people. I thought it was loud during the day, but when the moon shines it only gets worse. Earplugs can’t drain out their cries, but it’s a mental hospital, what do you expect.
“T-t-t-t-today I have decided that L-l-l-Lincoln is still alive. They are hiding him in the A-a-a-a-alps.”
“Larry, yesterday it was that the government is harboring aliens. Now dead president Lincoln is in the Alps.” What was the point in group therapy? All it did was allow people to share their new discoveries, and others to challenge them.
“I’m serious this time! Barney told me last night.” It’s really pitiful; he believes with all his heart that a purple dinosaur knows government secrets.
“Gloria, have you found out anything about yourself?”
“Yes sir I have”, with a smile upon my face, being sure to pronounce every sound, “ if I could have 5 seconds alone with any living creature, I would love to watch it die in acid. Hearing it squeal and look at me with such pain and discouragement…this is my new fantasy.” Once again I was in frenzy, I was bent forward with my hands under my legs being sure not to attack Larry sitting next to me. The doctor didn’t know what to say, he just kind of stared at me blankly with a look of horror on his face.
“Why do you have to do that?” The boy stood towards me then, he was pointing his finger at me.
“Put your finger away child. The doc asked, and I answered.”
“Can’t you see they have”, his voice squeaked, and I couldn’t help but giggle. He cleared his throat and repeated, “Can’t you see they have trouble sleeping as it is?” He had sweat dripping from his blonde short hair into his deep green eyes, and his small knees were shaking.
“Alright, well I think that is enough for today.” Chad then helped the cat lady walk over to her spot by the window. No one ever really had talked to me like that, probably because they were so scared of me.
“Hey kid.”
“I’m 13, stop calling me kid and child.”
“But you are a child.”
“And you’re a bully, but do I call you that? No.” I admired him, he was feisty.
Friday, April 9, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment